The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Winterbourne Bassett Forum Start a topic | Search
Winterbourne Bassett
Winterbourne Basset (and Moo!)
22 messages
Select a forum:
Whilst spending time in Glastonbury today, I bought an O/S 157 ‘Explorer’ map of Avebury & Marlborough etc. I was amazed to see a stone circle marked at Winterbourne Basset, a small village a few miles north of Avebury. I was quite surprised, and drove over there this afternoon on the way back to Wolverhampton to check it out. I’ve been visiting Avebury for over ten years, and I was most intruiged that there was a circle close-by that I had never even heard of.
The field containing the circle was surrounded by barbed wire, and full of cows, but I braved it.
There were five half buried stones, and one larger further one. There is also an impressive standing stone over the road from the field the stones are in. I took photos but there is already some on this site (I would expect nothing less;-). The link -
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=2616
Anyways, it’s a very ruined site, but very interesting I feel because of its close proximity to Avebury.
Now to get to my question . . . on page 104 of the great Megalithomania book, there is a Stukeley picture of a circle “near Avebury” at Winterbourne. It looks nothing like the landscape that my new Winterbourne Basset circle is in.
Now, on page 118 of the new ‘Stukeley Illustrated’ book, ( thanks for the link Baza, I’ve got a copy now), the same picture is listed as Winterbourne ABBAS. Dorset! If you please! No wonder the landscape looks different!
I think the picture is labelled wrong in Megalithomania, so does this mean we don’t have any real idea of what the Winterbourne Basset circle was like?
Anyway, it’d be a nice, peaceful example of a ruined circle to visit if it wasn’t for the barbed wire and cows. There were cows on Glastonbury Tor too Saturday night! I’m sick of ‘em!

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
17th August 2003ce
21:57

Messages in this topic: