The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Kirkhaugh Forum Start a topic | Search
Kirkhaugh
Good news / bad news
1 message
Select a forum:
I've found the remains of a stone row on the site. It seems to be a little double row - Burl type d - and runs broadly east-west. It points toward the rounded promontory below the Alston TV transmitter, in Mounthooly Plantation.

The curricks on top of Little Heaplaw are arranged in a crescent with their centres about three metres apart. There are many other stones on the ledge below so I assume they have previously been taller.There is just one place, in front, where these curricks appear to be equally spaced. They are about 1350 metres (give or take a hundred) from the stones and this will allow some trigonometry. I expect angle 'a' to be about one degree.

The Gilderdale Burn goes underground just below the road bridge and re-emerges just below the railway bridge. It's a very unusual phenomena and I've not noticed it before. There must be some caves and it looks like magic to me !

I shall put a little glass jar in the fieldwall beside the gate, on the roadside. Can visitors to this glorious ruin (and I'm not talking about myself here) please leave fifty pence or a quid for John the farmer to compensate him for 'wear and tear' and 'loss of amenity' ? He's ok.

Smallhenge is aesthetically close to this beggar http://www.megalithic.co.uk/mo[...]amp;pid=2112&orderby=dateD
which is near Carnac. Here the structure is closed by stones - at Kirkhaugh the little enclosure is defined by a bank (7m. x 33m.) which is then studded by boulders. I'd like to see it fenced off - there's not a great possibility of that !

Back, back, back !

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
7th August 2003ce
08:45