The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Cairn of Eireira
19 messages
Select a forum:
I forgot to add that the original name of the Cairn of Afife is Cairn of Eireira, a cryptic name if you ask me. Another piece of weirdness in this cairn (or mamoa, as it is called in Portuguese) is how all the uprights that make up the passage are the same height as the chamber's, which is quite unbelievable in megalithic monuments, known as they are for dramatizing the entrance inside via a sloping corridor and other effects of perspective. This one had no need, though I couldn't say with conviction whether it has anything to do with the position of the horizon and the sunrise in this case, high over that of the sea. Very often in megalithic chambers I have seen it covers half of the entrance when seen from the inside of the chamber, perfect for the illumination of the chamber at a certain sunrise of the year.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Annexus Quam
28th July 2003ce
07:11

In reply to:

Recycling Has Its Mother's Eyes (Annexus Quam)

Messages in this topic: