The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Let's glue it all back together!
44 messages
Select a forum:
I'm not in favour of great big Newgrange style restoration, but there are a lot of sites that have been restored more sensitively. Avebury is an example of a place that would be very different had it been left as it was in the 19th Century. The restoration there did loads to raise the profile of British prehistory, and gave us a much better idea of how the site should have been (despite the embarrassing upside down stone incident).

My Stonehenge suggestion was a bit tongue in cheek, but I don't think restoration should be ruled out just because something becomes a World Heritage Site.

Stonehenge is like a ruddy great megalithic Mechano set. There are ball and socket joints to guide the re-erection of lintels, which is more than a lot of sites have to go on. If a standing stone is unsympathetically re-erected there's loads of scope for getting it wrong, because packing stones can easily shift. That's not the case with a lintel.

;-)#

Kammer x

Reply | with quote
Kammer
Posted by Kammer
24th July 2003ce
16:57

Messages in this topic: