The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Rollright Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
The Rollright Stones
Re: Arty ~ Farty
40 messages
Select a forum:
Well I just read that press release and i'm with Nigel in the Bollocks camp. Art, especially modern stuff is all about the individuals perception of the piece, and is acutely personal to the artist being something which they have created from their hearts, minds or hands.

Having the whole shooting match dressed up in this highbrow, mealy-mouthed spin, designed to imply that it is something "elitist" and cerebral and all a bit of an intellectually closed shop, really gets up my nose. What a bunch of horeseshit.

But the sculpture on the other hand - is beautiful. Its a simple statement, easy to understand and relate to - even the title! And putting it in context with the Rollrights, places the super modern with the super ancient. Nice touch. I suppose all the art critics etc will have to fawn over the whole thing and pronounce it as something esoterically vibrant or deeply atavistic or some other crud, but providing the site as a whole isnt damaged or altered, i think it could work really well.

....just get rid of the f?<=€ing publicist! tosser.

Reply | with quote
Wotan
Posted by Wotan
15th July 2003ce
08:20

In reply to:

Art at the Rollrights (baza)

1 reply:

Re: Arty ~ Farty (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: