The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
explaining myself
204 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Shestu - nice to see you're still frequenting these parts. I just wanted to say that I present these things "gingerly" not because I think that everyone here is Rationalist & Roman, but because I am anxious to distinguish my writing from that of (so-called) "new age" authors. I think you probably know the kind of writing I mean - where the author pays no regard to historical facts at all and just launches into a wild flight of fancy that has no basis in reality. Erich von Daniken's books are a wonderfully entertaining example of this kind of (fictional!) writing. Also, I am often writing with people in mind who have absolutely no interest at all in stone circles and the like. These are the people I am most interested in reaching with my writing - preaching to the converted is not my main aim. Lastly, I find that it helps me to write if I imagine the reader as a sort of opponent, someone who is intelligent, critical and skeptical - it helps me strengthen my argument. Strangely enough, this "intelligent, critical and skeptical" (notice I don't say cynical - I think skepticism is a healthy thing) reader who I envision in my mind's eye usually seems to be FourWinds these days! : ) I also find it entertaining to gently ridicule reason!

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
26th June 2003ce
21:52

In reply to:

Spirit of Place (Shestu)

1 reply:

Re: explaining myself (Shestu)

Messages in this topic: