The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Longstone (East Worlington) Forum Start a topic | Search
43 messages
Select a forum:
Couldn't find a socket. Maybe it's a lid. Deep freeze/thaw fracture down the centre. Lifted it onto two old 3 X 3 oak fence posts to reduce its weight - dry it slightly.

Took down the Viking replica burial cairn at the Solstice. Photographed three stages of the process and they are an 'artwork' 'Here Today, Gone Tomorrow (2003)' which I've left in a camera in a tent at my basecamp. It may have been too dark for the pictures to come out - it was raining slightly.

The day before I'd found a Neolithic/Bronze Age something. Huge pile of stones, thinly vegetated with a 10m. line of large straight-edged boulders. Around it were multiple suitably-shaped rocks. Beside it was an almost perfect early-mid Victorian sheepfold, probably made out of the small bits. I pointed my camera at it and it clicked but it didn't whirr.

It was later I found I hadn't put the film in. The camera has also photographed various animals caught in gamekeeper's traps. It's wrapped in a black thick-knit jersey in a tied up Nettos bag. I've left it in a very old tent. Somone left the tent at Fat Dudley's (about twenty years ago) and I just blew the Old Spice talcum powder dust off it and pitched it at High Shield. It's low, long and waterproof but the air vents let in the small Pennine midges.

I've a little play tent dummy, as well, and have my tools in that. I was going to pitch the basecamp at a recycled Bronze Age homestead about 400 metres from where I am. I was then going to ask you what I should dream about. But I looked at it - it seemed rocky - and I decided to make camp in the tiny paddock here. (please see image just posted) The keepers have cut peat turf and made a small shooting hide overlooking this site on a promontory above. If Time Team unlikely came out here they might get shot at.

My basecamp and activities - this summer - are called 'Reviving Mr Dead'. The ResonanceFM webstream has gone down. But then there aren't many websites containing a pirated interview with Patrick Moore ...

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
24th June 2003ce
00:34

Messages in this topic: