The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Longstone (East Worlington) Forum Start a topic | Search
43 messages
Select a forum:
I think the Longstone's real - just because of the natural shape of the rock, and the way it fits the ground. It suggests 'fullness' - fertility.

It's difficult in the field to know whether a stone has slipped - is slipping - or has been originally paced at that angle.

The second, Welsh, stone has certainly been well-worked by iron chisels - I would guess in Victorian times. Whether it is a megalith is a balance of probabilities. I'd suggest 60/40 in favour of an earth religion placement. It's just a guess.

This is what I'm up against -

http://www.north-yorkshire-moors.freeserve.co.uk/ceremony.htm

- but I've just found a small leaning pillar, maybe half of a pair with the other fallen. I'll look further at them. I've got a small fallen slab with clear grass marks showing its original angle and I should - just about - be able to set it on the Solstice - Sunday morning. There's two curricks on the horizon before it and the slab faces diverge slightly to align with them. Easier said than done ! But the vegetation mark indicates an 'arrow in the ground' setting.

The night of Solstice eve I should be able to dismantle a replica Viking burial cairn - it may even be in the Knarsdale library at that other website. (The picture got to number 36 in the summer photograph competition !)

I could do with some some smokescreen, in the lower valley, if anyone could fancy doing impressions of filmic archaeologists. Just print this map out -

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/image.php?image_id=13019 -

and start with the cupmarked rock nearest to the farm named Far House. I know it's a crap map. If you can find that first stone, which was buried until very recently, then there's a cluster of rocks due South, across a field, into the next one, and up a hill a bit. Dr Maria Von Strudel, University of Hamburgh, expert in paleologistics (hear my plea !)

The digger's coming for the Wogglestones next.

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
17th June 2003ce
09:16

In reply to:

Hi Jimit. (Kammer)

4 replies:

Hi AtomicMutton (Kammer)
Re: Hi Jimit. (jimit)
Re: Hi atomic mutton (pebblesfromheaven)
George Winn Darley!! (Shestu)

Messages in this topic: