The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: NT Campaign second phase
24 messages
Select a forum:
I still have a press cutting from a broadsheet daily newspaper (not sure which one) dating from March 25th 1994 - I knew it would come in handy one day. I'll quote bits of it.

"English Heritage, whose guardianship of historic properties was criticised last year by a Commons all-party committee, handed over 17 of its sites to the National Trust yesterday. The sites include Avebury circle in Wiltshire..."

"The handover is part of a controversial policy introduced by Mr. Stevens [Jocelyn Stevens, Chair of EH], in his forward strategy, to hive off as many as possible of the 404 historic sites in the care of English Heritage. Under the plans, the sites are given to new management where there is ”local expertise, willingness and enthusiasm”, on the basis that the property will be conserved to agreed standards”.

“Mr. Stevens said that while the National Trust would be responsible for looking after the sites, the guardianship and overall responsibility would be retained by English Heritage”

NB – the other sites included Windmill Hill, The Sanctuary, The Alexander Keiller Museum, Silbury Hill, West Kennet Long barrow, Ballowall Barrow (Cornwall), Castlerigg, Uffington White Horse and Dragon Hill, Upper Plym Valley (Dartmoor), and Wayland’s Smithy.

Reply | with quote
pure joy
Posted by pure joy
9th May 2003ce
00:09

In reply to:

Re: NT Campaign second phase (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: