The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
The Cove @ Avebury
6 messages
Select a forum:
I took the little dudes to see the "straightening" of The Cove yesterday and was suprized to see that not very many people were interested in what was going on.
The few people who asked what was going on didn't give a shit about the whys and where-fors.They just said "good,about time,are they doing them all ?" The actions of the 2 engineers and a foreman plus the fella from English Heritage( who didn't have a clue about anything,he just stood there with his camera and didn't take any photos in the 5 hours i was there)was quiet comical as the stone started to fall back as all the packing fell into the trench.
The foreman just started to franticly phone for help while the other two guys started to repack using bits of scaffold plank they had sawn off !
So all worked stopped just before 5ish,so they could try to stop the "slight wobble"-their words-our words"ITS FUCKING GOING OVER !!"

Over the day the stone was moved about 6inches.
Not bad i supose,but how far would those blokes got just using ropes and pulleys i wonder ?

So, apart from the wobble and the slight crack in the bottom,alls going ok.

If you want to be updated with the work going on at The Cove,a certain Mr G is keeping watch over the site and updates are on his site everyday.

For those of you who care about Mr G,he's doing very well and is very busy on other projects.I do urge you to contact him and tell him how much you miss him(but don't say that i told you so !).

So, there you go.

notd 8o)

Reply | with quote
Posted by neighbourofthedrude
17th April 2003ce
14:08

4 replies:

Re: The Cove @ Avebury (Squid Tempest)
also... (neighbourofthedrude)
Re: lack of interest (elderford)
Re: The Cove @ Avebury a visit! (Nat)

Messages in this topic: