The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
HTV's 'The Children Of The Stones'
31 messages
Select a forum:
In 1977 there was a TV program filmed by HTV called ‘The Children Of The Stones’. It was a half hour drama aimed at older kids. It was aired around 5.15 and was filmed on location in Avebury; (although it was called Millbury in the show). I was only 11 when I watched it. It made quite an impression on me, so much so that I sometimes wonder if this show sparked my latent interest in megolithomania.
I never thought I’d see the show again, I heard it was only screened once - but the seven episodes have recently been released on video & DVD- (deep joy!) I watched the first two episodes again last night. It still retains its eerie quality, and despite some very dodgy science, gives a pretty true account of the date and nature of the stones, (even referring to the ‘hackpen’ – cool!).
I'll post a review after I've seen the seven episodes this weekend, (unless it's already been covered here and I've missed it). It’s fun to see the familiar village in a 1970’s setting, nothing much has changed really, ‘cept hair length perhaps.
The storyline centred on two new visitors to the village (Father & Son), who find the inhabitant's ways strange. As the series progresses, they find the stones are exhibiting a sinister influence on the townsfolk. Or something like that :-)
Does anyone else remember the series? I wonder if there are some ‘thirtysomethings’ (what a horrible term!) on this group that feel, like me, that an initial seed of wonder was planted as they watched this strange show about the odd village surrounded by stones?

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
8th April 2003ce
22:30

Messages in this topic: