The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Central London Forum Start a topic | Search
Central London
Re: Ice Age Art at the BM
56 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:

The real disappointment of the exhibition (for some at least) was the inclusion of 'modern' art. The exhibition organizers didn't seem confident enough to present it (the exhibition) without the modern art element and I think that was a serious miscalculation. The 'Ice Age' art artifacts really swept the board and stood head and shoulders above the modern art element; the latter just was not needed.

I disagree with this negative view strongly. Its a while since I was at the exhibition, I recollect however, that the modern art was discreetly placed at the end of the exhibition in order to give a sense of continuity. It was saying we are the same people making sense of what what is important in our world through art. The two Joseph Hecht hangings (engraving and etching) echoed the cave paintings and were beautifully simple in their own right.
Not a miscalculation in my opinion - rather a creative interpretation.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
15th May 2013ce
20:58

In reply to:

Re: Ice Age Art at the BM (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: