The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: What no Stonehenge?
53 messages
Select a forum:
The only time I've ever been in the Stonehenge area was in 1994 when I was down staying with a friend who lived just outside Southampton at Baddersly. She'd been involved in Twyfield Rising campaign a few years before. The road had gone ahead and weird security guys (remember Group 4?) had weighed in and carried out forced evictions from the camp she'd been at.
Anyhow down in Hampshire in the summer of 1994 the roads were full of traveller types being hounded by the press and police. My friend took me on a drive up to Bath and the route took in a white horse and the road past Stonehenge. The road was very busy with police preventing people stopping. There was an atmosphere of real intimidation and control and what I felt was a massive use of State Power for no clear end.
I caught sight of Stonehenge as we drove past and impressive it looked too. But somehow that proud monument for me is forever caught up in those dark times (I dont even know if access to the stones was being permitted at that time). I have no desire to visit it. Bad memories

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
13th February 2011ce
13:09

In reply to:

What no Stonehenge? (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: