The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Yes, it could work!
62 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Now that we've all slagged the theory off I'd like to put a few points in its defence (without implying I actually support it) (though it would need amending) -

The lack of evidence of such balls isn't significant - a few dozen, used repeatedly, is all you'd need so the fact none have been found isn't necessarily significant.

I don't think their idea of two precise grooves for them to run in is necessary. Wide grooves, say 9 inches wide into which balls were thrown randomly would support a moving "stone-barge" adequately.

The above arrangement would mean all the balls wouldn't necessarily have to be of identical size as there would be a tendency for them to migrate laterally and take up a supporting position wherever the underside of the barge was subject to variations.

I think you'll find if a 'groove' is not perfectly flat and the balls of uneven size do migrate to various positions to suit their size as you suggest, then those in a 'lower' position because of the uneveness of the groove would act as a brake Nigel. They could not roll out of that position because the sheer weight of the barge above them would not allow it. The freely running balls would just jam up against them. And that's on a perfectly flat ground surface let alone the ups and downs reality!
And I doubt very much, due to the variable grain in timber, that a stone axe would have a snowballs chance in hell of producing the finish required. The idea of cutting down oak trees and producing the 'planks' would be a job probably just as difficult as shifting the stones themselves. I think we have to stand back here and just look at what you have. A tree that has to have all it's branches removed first then split into nice planks avoiding all the knots (which it couldn't) which prevents the timber from splitting evenly. Stone on stone has been proven to produce decent work but I don't see if for stone on wood.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
23rd November 2010ce
08:16

In reply to:

Yes, it could work! (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Yes, it could work! (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: