The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Tre Wallter Llwyd Forum Start a topic | Search
79 messages
Select a forum:
I used to farm in North Yorkshire and there were quite a few footpaths that crossed our land. When we took over the farm many of these were badly neglected and we had problems with ramblers straying off the paths into areas that were dangerous (bogs, sheer drops, etc). We had consultations with the Footpaths Officer from the local council. He was very helpful and gave us signs to waymark the routes. We installed proper gates, styles, footbridges and erected fences where necessary to guide ramblers along the correct path. The Footpaths Officer was equally zealous in dealing with complaints from ramblers and we had to check our paths regularly to make sure that they were maintained to a suitable standard.

As a former landowner who cared about maintaining the rights of way I would offer the following advice:

1. Don't take any provocative action such as damaging fences, cutting wire, etc. You will only add fuel to the grievances that the landowner may already happen to feel towards ramblers and your actions may put yourself or others at risk.

2. Submit a written complain to the Footpaths (or Rights of Way) Officer at you local council. If my area is anything to go by I can assure you that they take such matters seriously. Be specific, and give dates on which you attempted to access the path.

3. Encourage others to write in too.

Reply | with quote
Steve Gray
Posted by Steve Gray
5th October 2003ce
16:40

In reply to:

Re: access (third degree)

Messages in this topic: