Falkner’s Circle 2
Image by postman

It is the 'getting bookshops to stock it factor' that's the bugger. Each shop usually has its own buyer, so if you self publish you have to go around all the shops yourself and convince each one to stock it, even to chains like Waterstones etc.

As you say, genuine self-publication is fine - it's the vanity variety that's kak. I do know a printer that will do short runs of books similar to the Shire series, but short runs ain't cheap. You're lucky to make a small profit.

Neil Mortimer (Ex 3rd Stone Ed) can get me printing done on small runs but its the costs and distribution that screws things up.
Not having a 'Name' like Julian I cannot scream "It must be in colour" to any big publishers!
Of course I would want it coffee table sized and lavishly illustrated with colour panos stretching across 2 pages..
Ah Dream on....
PeteG