Falkner’s Circle 2
Image by thesweetcheat

There is a big difference between self publishing and vanity publishing. Self publishing means personal financial risk and the chief difficulty is marketing and sales. Key is accurate forecast of likely sales and outlets. Then getting a printer prepared to do a short print run. I underestimated interest and had to go to a second edition. Would have been cheaper if I had printed twice as many first time.
Vanity publishing is an expensive con that results in no sales because booksellers know them and avoid stocking them.

Personal opinion on the cup marks - they are natural.

It is the 'getting bookshops to stock it factor' that's the bugger. Each shop usually has its own buyer, so if you self publish you have to go around all the shops yourself and convince each one to stock it, even to chains like Waterstones etc.

As you say, genuine self-publication is fine - it's the vanity variety that's kak. I do know a printer that will do short runs of books similar to the Shire series, but short runs ain't cheap. You're lucky to make a small profit.