Carn Pica 2
Image by thesweetcheat

I've no doubt about this one - Coflein are well known for being reticent without excavation, but would you really believe the third of the great trio of main Brecon Beacons summits would not have a burial cairn?

The Clwyd Powys Archaelogical trust have no doubt either, having recently completed a survey of Prehistoric Funerary and Ritual Sites in Breconshire and - not surprisingly - the Cribyn cairn (ref PRN4560] is in grave danger of vanishing under the onslaught of walkers boots. I'll post the link on the page.

well no... I mean who wouldn't want to be buried on such a spot, anyway. The recent survey sounds most interesting.

GLADMAN wrote:
I've no doubt about this one - Coflein are well known for being reticent without excavation, but would you really believe the third of the great trio of main Brecon Beacons summits would not have a burial cairn?
Hi Gladman,

I think it's very likely that the existing Carn Pica cairn is on the site of the Bronze Age cairn, but it's confusing to associate the two. There's also some guesswork involved (hence the reluctance of the RCAHMW to put the site on Coflein).

Those of us 'in the know' will interpret the site as posted on TMA as a reference to the location of the original cairn, but someone coming to the subject without much experience might easily think the pile of stones up there has a direct lineage to the Bronze Age cairn.

Describing the modern cairn as the 'restored cairn of Carn Pica' is perhaps a bit misleading. It's not really restored.

K x