Walderslade Woods 1
Image by slumpystones
Walderslade Woods

F.A.O. Slumpy .

slumpystones wrote:
tiompan wrote:
slumpystones wrote:
I can't see how it would possibly have been done naturally.
Here's some e.g.'s of natural stuff .
http://rockartuk.fotopic.net/c748555.html
What determines natural as opposed to manmade?

Is it the actual carving itself, whether having sharp edges, worn edges etc, or is it the location on the stone?

Some of these seem too regular to be natural to me. Barharrow looks manmade, purely because of the stone that is not marked.

Saying all that, when I was a young'un, we used to go swimming at Redhill baths in Surrey, and while waiting, all our 2p entrance money was used to bore holes in the soft brickwork. There musta been thousands of them...

There are natural geological phenomena that have very regular unnatural
looking effects , crystals defy the "no straight lines in nature " mantra . Google Diagenesis and you'll get cup and rings but perfectly natural . The markings tend not to be too regular .Cups are usually inverted cones and there is a "jizz" (the birding term ) that is acquired after looking at thousands of them .

Not sure about this jizz thing...hehehe

The cups I can understand. Pebbles in hollows being swirled round by water make big holes. The Devil's Arse in Castleton has a tube that reaches up to Peveril Castle, hundreds of feet above, and was bored out from below by water/rock action, and has a 40-ton boulder wedged halfway up. I was flapping a bit staring up that hole just in case it decided to come loose...

I dunno, no experience in these matters and an active imagination, probably doesn't help one bit!