Walderslade Woods 1
Image by slumpystones
Walderslade Woods

F.A.O. Slumpy .

I agree the one you cited is a fake, and if I can get round to it I'll remove it. But it does look like an ear ;)

I tried again today, but it really is so dark in that part of the woods that the results were no better. All the pics are here. The marks are on the pointyest of the two pointy stones on the right of the group pics.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/slumpy_uk/walderslade%20woods/

Just for the record there are seventeen stones [some obviously broken] and two outlying stones that were impossible to get close to. The land all around has been extensively quarried for chalk, very much in the same way as Coldrum, especially the steep cutting to the north.

First impressions would lead me to suspect that this photo
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/slumpy_uk/walderslade%20woods/?action=view¤t=moto_0042.jpg
may possibly give a clue to the origin of the ring and indicate weathering as opposed to carving as the cause

cheers fitz