The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Penrhyn-Coch War Memorial

Standing Stone / Menhir


According to a thesis by AR Sainsbury (published in 1939) the quartz stone that acts as a war memorial in the village Penrhyn-coch was originally a standing stone (standing at SN66138586).
A large menhir of white quartz formerly stood on the crest of the ridge north of the road and 400 yards north-east of the magazine of Court Grange mine. It has since been placed on a plinth and adorned with a cross in the village of Penrhyncoch and now forms the village War memorial. The stone is approximately 5' in height and 15' in girth and is rectangular in section.
Apparently the stone was marked on the 1853 OS map, presumably in it's original location. The stone is sometimes referred to as the Banc Troed Rhiw Seiri Stone, in reference to its original location.
Kammer Posted by Kammer
20th December 2002ce
Edited 10th November 2003ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment