|A folklorish snippet about the site's name and some other information:
The locality consists of a series of small plains or glades, chiefly turbary, interspersed with rocky hillocks covered with oak, presenting scenes of singular variety and beauty; while the panorama of the Caernarvonshire hills, which this spot exhibits, can scarcely be surpassed in magnificence.From 'Carnedd enclosing a cromlech at Chapel Garmon' in the first volume of the Cambrian Journal (1857).
[...] The name of the field in which the cromlech lies [is] Cae'r Ogof, (Cave-field,) and the monument is known by the name Ogof.
[...] On the under side of the great cover stone is a singular round cavity, about two feet across, closely resembling an inverted saucer, with a clean perforation in the middle right through the stone. This was produced by some one who was barbarous enough to attempt the destruction of this noble slab by blasting; but the hole being bored too deep, the underside of the stone gave way, the laminae being forced out in concentric circles, diminishing upwards, and presenting an object that, if unexplained, might well perplex an antiquary. Another attempt was made, but the hole being too shallow, the blast blew up the charge without injuring the stone. Some person has very lately been trying his pick upon the edge of the cromlech.
[...] On an eminence, a short distance off, an enormous boulder of conglomerate draws attention, but on being approached, it presents no appearances worthy of note.
Some years ago the compartment under the stone was converted into a stable, by clearing out the side of the carnedd to the west, throwing down the end-stone, and fitting in a framed window. A door was also provided, and a stone manger. All these have since been removed.From 'The Conway in the Stereoscope' by James Bridge Davidson (1860). Sadly there isn't a stereoscope photo of the site, in the book, though there are of various other scenes.
Posted by Rhiannon
30th January 2010ce
Edited 31st January 2010ce