|Details of barrows on Pastscape
[Group centred ST 5065 6390] A group of at least six barrows is plotted by various authorities in this area (4), Four are described as simple bowl barrows, T 32-5, in 1925, and were from 40-65 feet in diameter and 1-3 feet high (1) A fifth barrow T 194, was described in the 1930s (3a), and a sixth, T 35A in 1934-5 (2), the latter as a soil-mark visible from the air only. All were gradually destroyed by ploughing and are reported as completely gone by 1946 (3). (1-4)
T32 has been completely destroyed. It was identified by Prof. Tratman when a trench for a telephone cable was cut through it, and sited to ST 5055 6391.
T33 is a bowl barrow which lies astride the hedge between two modern fields at ST 5074 6389. The western part of the mound has been spread by ploughing and is now 0.8m high. The east side has been completely destroyed.
T34 has been completely destroyed and its site cannot be identified on the ground. Prof. Tratman sites it to ST 5057 6386, and says that a large flat stone c. 4ft. square was formerly exposed in its centre.
T35, at ST 5076 6391, has been almost ploughed out but its site is marked by a very slight rise.
T35A is sited to ST 5092 6391 by Tratman but to ST 5083 6383 by Grinsell. Nothing is visible at Tratman's siting but there is a low, circular, rise in a crop of kale in the position indicated by Grinsell.
T194, at ST 5061 6391, has been almost ploughed out, but its site is marked by a very low rise.
T33, 35, 35A and 194 surveyed at 1:2500. (5)
Posted by Chance
13th April 2015ce