The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Norbury Camp (Upper Coberley)



Details of hill fort on Pastscape

SO 990150) Norbury (NR) Camp (NR) Norbury hill-fort, univallate, unexcavated and mostly ploughed out, probably enclosed about 8 acres. The south end is defined by a bank 18 ft wide and 3 ft high with an outer ditch 20 ft wide and 3 ft deep. A scarp 2 1/2ft high marks the east side; at the NE angle the ditch appears as a band of dark soil with a slight outer scarp. The entrance in the SW is between over-lapping bank ends. (Visited 29.4.69) As described except that the ditch at the NE angle is indiscernible as the field is under young corn at present. Published 1:2500 survey revised. (3)
SO 990 150. Norbury, Colesborne [sic]. Listed in gazetteer as a univallate hillfort covering 3.2ha. (5)
Norbury Hill-fort (SO 990150), univallate, unexcavated and mostly ploughed out, lies on a hill-top 1 mile N of the village [Colesbourne]; it probably enclosed about 8 acres. [Further details and plan included]. A rapid examination of air photography (7a) suggests that the hillfort entrance was at the northern end of the northeast side. (7)
The hillfort referred to above is visible on aerial photographs and has been mapped as part of the Cotswolds Hills NMP survey. The hillfort is as described in source (2). The hillfort is defined by a bank on the north east, east, south and south west sides measuring about 7m in width. On the south side is a ditch about 5m wide. Overlapping ends of the banks appear to form an entrance at SO 9898 1485, though the slight out turned end of the bank visible to the northeast at SO 9895 1511, may also form an entrance. A section of bank to the northwest was not visible due to dense vegetation. (9-10)
Chance Posted by Chance
10th June 2014ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment