|Who knows if this stone is still here. Or indeed whether it might be legitimate TMA fare. But let's be optimistic. It's a big stone with magical connotations. It's named at this grid reference on some old maps. And now it might be too tucked away for anyone at the manor (now a hotel) to be worrying about.
A field adjoining the site of the mansion is still known by the name of Chapel-garth. A short distance from Chapel-garth in a hollow place, is a large stone called the "conjuring stone." In the days of superstition and witches, a troubled ghost supposed to be From Vallis Eboracensis by Thomas Gill (1852).
'Doom'd for a certain time to walk the night,
And for the day confin'd to fast in fires;
Till the foul crimes done in his days of nature
Were burnt and purged away,"*
frequented this lonely spot and the neighbouring road and so terrified the natives, that it was deemed necessary for the peace of the town and the comfort of the "poor ghost" to ease it of its troubles by the aid of the priest, who after various ceremonies, exorcised the spirit and fastened it down with what is now designated, the "conjuring stone" which remains to the present day.
(*this is a quote from Hamlet)
Posted by Rhiannon
7th February 2014ce
Edited 7th February 2014ce