The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Pudding Pie Hill

Round Barrow(s)


To the south-east of the village, near the river Codbeck, is a tumulus, popularly called "pudding pye hill;" the origin of which had long been a disputed point, some affirming it to be the remains of a watchtower pertaining to the Castle of Thirsk, others maintaining its sepulchral character. This dispute was finally set at rest in August, 1855, when Lady Frankland Russell the owner, employed a number of men, under the superintendence of Mr. James Ruddock of Pickering, to excavate the hill. [...]

The popular legend is -- that this hill was raised by the Fairies, who had their residence within; and if any person should run nine times round it, and then stick a knife into the centre of the top, then place their ear to the ground, they would hear the Fairies conversing inside.
From The Vale of Mowbray by William Grainge (1859).
Rhiannon Posted by Rhiannon
1st April 2013ce
Edited 1st April 2013ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment