The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Raven Hall Hotel

Cup and Ring Marks / Rock Art


Summary of information contained in a leaflet available at the hotel, “The history of Raven Hall”

Raven Hall was built in around 1763, when the remains of a Roman fort were found on the site. It was built by the owner of the local Alum Works for his family holiday home. It remained in the family after his death in 1829, when it became a retreat for George III and “various other loopy royals”. The original owner’s grandson, an eccentric Vicar, created the incredible hanging terraced gardens and battlements by literally blowing them out of the cliff face! Included in this project was a small but useful cave…
Needless to say, in 1845 this owner became financially unstable, and the ownership passed to the bank owner, who took on the role of local benefactor and landlord.
pebblesfromheaven Posted by pebblesfromheaven
2nd March 2003ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment