The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Tinhead Hill

Long Barrow


Details of Long Barrow on Pastscape

Long barrow, excavations by Thurman revealed it to have been previously disturbed. Human remains and Windmill Hill Pottery located
(ST 93895239) Long Barrow (GT). (1)
A long barrow at Tinhead, 210 feet long, 70 feet wide and 12 feet high, orientated ENE/WSW. It is on arable land and the
side ditches were just visible in 1936. Excavated by J Thurnam in 1864, who stated that it had been rifled before but he found traces of human remains at the east end with sherds of coarse black pottery nearby, probably Windmill Hill ware. The sherds are in the British Museum: Acc No 1873. 12-19, 194. Planted with trees. It is named 'Long Barrow' on the Tithe Map. (2-4)
The barrow is about 63 metres long and has a maximum height at either end of 3.0 metres. Both sides, which were originally
parallel, are extensively mutilated where large scoops of earth have been removed. Surveyed at 1:2500. (5)
Upon the summit of Tinhead Hill, a much mutilated, tree planted, long barrow as described above, its side ditches are no longer apparent.
No change to field report of 21.10.68. 1:2500 AM survey still correct; transfered to PFD. (6)
Originally recorded as Edington 7 by Goddard (7) with a description of the barrow given by Cunnington (8).
Tinhead Barrow (ST41) with Kinnes Type A ditches. The pottery recovered is of a plain bowl. (9)
The mound is now almost rectangular with rounded ends, havind been greatly affected by ploughing, but was likely to have originally been trapezoidal. It measures 62m long and 17m at its widest, though a slightly offset shallow mound, 1m high, at the E end suggests that it was once 15m longer and has been curtailed by ploughing, and reaching a length of 77m and width of 29m.
Of the flanking ditches the N has been ploughed out and only a trace survives. The S example though is 62m long, 14m wide and 0.6m deep. Both are separated from the mound by a berm 2m wide. Surveyed at 1:500 by RCHME field staff as part of the SPTA Project. Further details can be found within the project archive. (10)

( 1) Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1961
( 2) General reference VCH Wilts 1 1957 140 (L V Grinsell)
( 3) General reference Arch 42 1869 180 194-5 (J Thurnam)
( 4) General reference Tithe Map Edington 1842
( 5) Field Investigators Comments F1 ANK 21-OCT-68
( 6) Field Investigators Comments F2 ASP 22-APR-77
( 7) General reference WAM 38, 1913-14, 250 (E.H Goddard)
( 8) General reference WAM 38, 1913-14 390 (M.E Cunnington)
( 9) General reference Brit. Museum Occ. Paper No. 52; Non Megalithic Long Barrows and Allied Structures in the British Neolithic. 1992, 26 (I. Kinnes)
(10) General reference D Field, G. Brown/26-1-95/RCHME:SPTA Project
Chance Posted by Chance
8th July 2012ce

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to add a comment