The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Penshaw Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Penshaw Hill
Re: Worm Hill, Worm's Well, Worm's Rock
46 messages
Select a forum:
"The link with the well is a good signpost"

And also the fact that the Worm was first caught from in the Wear. Also the proximity of Worm Hill to the Wear, and the fact that Worm's Rock (wherever it may be!) is in the middle of the Wear. There's also the way that the Worm can't be cut in half because it'll just join back together again, too. Much like if you tried to cut a river in half with a sword.

"I'd still like to know why it's Pensher Hill that's got the earthworks and not Worm Hill."

I must admit this somewhat perplexes me. Although the possibility of Worm Hill being an artificial mound should not be forgotten. Perhaps both were significant (although I have to say that the name Pensher suggests a different deity to my mind, although I'll refrain from opening that can of Worms, so to speak, at this time).

Reply | with quote
TomBo
Posted by TomBo
26th April 2004ce
20:56

In reply to:

Re: Worm Hill, Worm's Well, Worm's Rock (BrigantesNation)

1 reply:

pensher's earthworks (TomBo)

Messages in this topic: