The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Cumbria Rocks!
15 messages
Select a forum:
To build on Pixie's suggestion, the following, N to S (or vice versa), is possible if you set off from Keswick dead early!

Castlerigg, Blakley Raise, Greycroft, Giant's Grave, Sunkenkirk and then, the climax, watching the sun set over Morcambe bay from The Druid's Circle of Ulverston. Fantastic!

If you make it to The Druid's circle, *please* visit Skelmore Heads. It's really close to The Druid's Circle, and is worth visiting. I admit it's not the most stunning site, in fact it's pretty scruffy, but I feel a strange attraction to it, and I'd love to hear other folks opinions. I last visited with MushroomSi and I *think* he liked it!

Other great Cumbrian monuments that are a must:

Mayburgh & King Arthur
Long Meg, Little Meg & if you've got time Glassonby is worth checking
Shap
Copt Howe and Langdale
Moor Divock - a fantastic walk and, I think, the setting for the northern 'gathering'

As for B&Bs, where do you want to be based? Most of the B&Bs in Keswick are okay, but you'd be better booking for Easter, they get busy. I've learnt the hard way - one time MrsIM and me ended up with an old biddie on the outskirts of town who, in the middle of the night after a toilet call, mysteriously mixed her room up with ours. Quite bizarre.

Reply | with quote
IronMan
Posted by IronMan
20th March 2003ce
23:47

In reply to:

Re: lake district (pixie46)

2 replies:

Re: Cumbria Rocks! (elderford)
Re: Cumbria Rocks! (pixie46)

Messages in this topic: