The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury Webcam back online
79 messages
Select a forum:
"There are no more druids, only people whom dejected by society think that they are such....how I laugh at you."

Oops...I missed this one.

Okay I'll play...(ahem):

There are no more Antiquarians only people whom dejected by society think that they are such.

Now then (yawn) which definition were you going by I wonder?

(1) The original Celtic Druid orders?

(Looks around) Yes I'd have to agree with you there. They do indeed appear to all be deceased (Bloody Romans!)

(2) Modern Druids, either Revivalist or Reconstructionist, descended from the 18th century revival that also brought you the Welsh Gorsedd under Iolo Morgannwg, and of which William Blake and William Stukely the Antiquarian (That's *Antiquarian*) were members.

(Looks in mirror) Oh look! There's one! He doesn't look very "dejected by society" either...well maybe by some of the children in society after a particularly hard last week of the Spring Term, but other than that fine and appearing to function perfectly well as a member of society, albeit one who puts on a white robe and goes to sacred sites at least 8 times a year.

Or more than that if it pisses off Druid-haters enough, frankly :-)

It was Stukely who, as you know, first associated Stonehenge with the Type (1) Druids above.
Type (2) Druids now, mostly, know this to be untrue, but in the process he forged the association between Stonehenge and silmilar sites and us lot...for which I am grateful, as this gives me perfect sites at which to honour the gods of my ancient ancestors.

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/earthmysteries/EMStukeley.html

Blessed be......

Reply | with quote
Cursuswalker
Posted by Cursuswalker
11th April 2003ce
16:52

In reply to:

Re: Avebury Webcam back online (Woodpidgeon)

Messages in this topic: