The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Great Hagley Forum Start a topic | Search
Great Hagley
Re: Great Hagley
20 messages
Select a forum:
Hello

This is my first post here I've lurked for a bit and finally posted some pictures and sites yesterday, it's good to see someone noticed.

Finding it was a real surprise I've walked around this hill for many years but only spotted it in December. I can't find it on any maps and unfortunately there's no public access, not all of the locals are freindly and some have very big dogs!

The hill in the background to the imediate right of the stone is Caer Cradoc (the one Near the village of Chapel Lawn).

I've no idea if it's a victorian one or not I've not checked it with the Local Museum or English Heritage yet.

The stone is a very pale granite which doesn't uccur natuarally in this area, inital enquiries seem to point to the stone coming from Snowdonia (on a very clear day you can almost see that far!) or the Cardigan area. The stone is quite weathered and very white, it it's really reflective I spotted it from a hill top near buy glittering in the sun. I'll post some more pictures and a feild report soon.

Cheers

Reg

Reply | with quote
Posted by Reg
1st February 2003ce
15:43

In reply to:

Re: Great Hagley (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: