The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Robin Hood and Little John Forum Start a topic | Search
56 messages
Select a forum:
Sorry about that - Knowth then.

Most wallers, in my experience, are not literate beings. They are also, socially, 'right at the bottom of the heap'. It's part of that process of destruction of the oral tradition. There's hardly anything left.

The situation in Bolton makes a wonderful 'case history'. The County Archaeologist is 'playing dead'. No one's been to look for the stones ...

This website has allowed me to publish the first pictures, not only of the Smithills stones, in north Bolton, but also a lot of the stuff I've found in the South Tyne valley; Knarsdale, Kirkhaugh, the 'Wogglestones'. I am enormously grateful for that.

I've noticed a pear-shaped motif, carved into similar places on two different stones in Northumberland, and the shape doesn't seem to be catalogued by Stan, in his Rock Art books. I have written to him today (about something else) and have suggested that this erotic pear-shaped carving should now be described as 'teardrop' shaped. That's a little thank you. There's a good example on one of the Haughton Common flanking stones.

~

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
29th January 2003ce
20:42

In reply to:

re: folklore (FourWinds)

1 reply:

re: folklore (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: