The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Standing Stone of unknown provenance in Glos
4 messages
Select a forum:
About 15-20 years ago I was made aware of a 'standing stone' very close to where I grew up, it is situated deep in the grounds of a public school in Gloucestershire.

I took some photographs (35mm film only, so not the greatest quality) and more or less forgot about it until chatting about such things with my Sister and ex Brother-in-Law on Christmas Day last year. Then last week while tidying up my old laptop I re-found the scanned negatives and I've stuck them up on the Megalithic Portal.

https://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=59671

I have no idea whether it's a genuine antiquity and it looked like it had been re-erected at some point, possibly from another location. I used to play around in the area when I was a kid 50 years ago, I don't remember it being there then but my 10 year old self would have had very little interest in such things! Had it been lying flat I almost certainly wouldn't even have noticed. There were a couple of large chunks next to it which looked like they could have been broken off the stone itself.

I haven't been back to it since I took the photos and have found no reference to it in online records or on maps.

It's 3km from the well-known Minchinhampton Longstone and 2.5km from Rodborough Horestone that amazingly was found in someone's garden in 2001.

Any thoughts/information would be welcome.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Simon Close
24th February 2024ce
02:50

Messages in this topic: