The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
Annexus Quam wrote:
Let me ask you one more thing, what's the latest on henge orientations? (not wanting to open a can of worms, as surely this has been discussed here before). Has this been done extensively and/or published? With no solstice / equinoctial moons, it seems there is no general pattern, intention or common denominator? Matter settled for you then?

Not sure it has been discussed here before although I may alluded to it .
Afaik there is nothing published on the orientations of henges and their subsequent astro associations .
It's the old story of DIY .
Cos you won't get it on Google .

I looked at 62 of those with the clearest entrance orientations and they were right round the horizon , clock , even facing the area of the horizon that is often avoided i.e. 340 -25 degrees , but the surprise was that 25% faced 320-360 with the majority of these the most northerly ,and the biggest percentage of any group of 40 degree windows .
For the windows 200-240 and 280-320 a very broad one for each of the solstice sunsets provided just one in each . It's almost as if they are avoiding them . 9% between 260-280 with 3 facing due west .
Hope that helps .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
29th January 2017ce
16:59

Messages in this topic: