The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
Celebrate Neolithic Orkney – but leave out Stonehenge.
Thanks for that great article - Orcadian prehistory is insular and far more interesting than that. Not at all suggesting I am against large-scale cultural and human contacts in prehistory but, at least we are evolving :-) in the past century, 'connections with Greece or Egypt were mandatory', now it is getting hard to escape the psychological pull of Wiltshire. I thought the same (not again!) about it once the programme started. Bit it's peak time TV, Neil Oliver, etc. Mind you, archaeology everywhere needs this hype in order to survive and I bet letting everyone (that includes petty councillors and their neighbours) believe whatever feeds their imagination will pay for the next dig. 'Reality' gets boring, even more so in this day and age of short attention spans and tweets.

It struck me the author mentioned very old RC dates for their earthwork enclosures. Maybe I misunderstood but is there an intention there to suggest anything other than 'dates so far are the oldest found in UK enclosures'?? He then adds 'enclosures are common but not everywhere in Britain'. I am interested in the RC dating, as enclosures are such a common (but little researched) Euro-phenomenon, and very ancient too.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Annexus Quam
29th January 2017ce
12:16

Messages in this topic: