The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
spencer wrote:
Hic : ) (no, I don't much, btw.....and think I may have had quite a brainwave, when sober. Back atcha in a bit, mebe, he tapped, conspiratorially...)

I just love Scottish islands, it is a bit like going to the moon and watching a fascinating landscape unfurl...

Well have just watched it, and probably need to watch it again. It was very good I loved the juxtaposition of Skona island abandonment 40 years ago by the islanders reflected in the Neolithic. The now wild herd of cattle that live there, led by a 'sacred' white cow, she isn't of course but the cows clustered around the calves protecting them, the three males in the distance, showed an ability to be able live without the hand of man interfering all the time.

Natural stone circle underneath the sea did not lead anywhere, but it is wise to remember that the so called land bridge called Doggerbank, think it was bigger than Wales was inhabited for a good time and there is still so much to learn from there

Westray (Links of Notland) tunnel and sauna, can't be doing with 'ritual' all the time, just loved the tunnel it brought back memories of Stoney Littleton Barrow, the beautiful building of stone enclosures and passageways, whereas the modern sauna looked like a grouse butt on the Yorkshire moors round here. Experimental stuff though needs to be done and the sauna worked.

Sanday; What marvellous islands, another theory that weather is the cause of people moving on, the encroachment by sea as the waters got higher, sand slowly piling around the settlements.

Famous words by the archeologist; "It doesn't seem to hang together at all" those words nearly at the end explains it all to me. They had just discovered what just might be tall stones beneath the buildings on the Ness of Brodgar, could it be an earlier stone circle, and so it hangs on suspense till they come back this summer season and root about a bit more.

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
18th January 2017ce
12:28

Messages in this topic: