The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
194 messages
Select a forum:
Howburn Digger wrote:
Dog in fog wrote:

In the artist's mausoleum I found myself in on Christmas Day in Oslo, of course I marvelled that a person or people with knowledge of physics and acoustics had built a place with a 10 second reverb effect!

tiompan wrote:
Good ole Emanuel ,and the architect was also the artist .

I am blown away with this weird coincidence and totally obscure synchronicity. I run a wee Music Tech Group at lunchtimes at the school I work... On Sunday last I grabbed some lovely audio samples from the Vigeland Mausoleum and some exceptionally lengthy echoes from the world's longest echo at Inchindown here in Scotland. We were messing with some Burns spoken word and these sounds and effects today.

http://www.freesound.org/people/acs272/sounds/250004/

http://www.freesound.org/people/acs272/sounds/214220/

I'm scared to look outside just now in case a comet flies over. How strangely strange.

I wish your class could have been teleported over there for the afternoon...

The beginning of the experience is very hushed. There is to be no filming, no photography, no mobile phones - you wear soft shoe coverings. You are entering someone's tomb!

The young curator holds the thick, metal door open for you and you stoop under the low doorway, your eyes trying to make out the shapes and details of the sculptures and paintings in the very dimly lit space. As the curator slams the door shut, a thrilling wave of sound crashes over you, before total stillness. (Sorry, getting a bit carried away!)

Remarkable. It didn't occur to me to record myself singing as I was totally 'in the present', and I'm glad.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Dog in fog
12th January 2017ce
10:22

Messages in this topic: