The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Grime's Graves Forum Start a topic | Search
Grime's Graves
Re: Britain's Ancient Tracks with Tony Robinson
18 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I thought that lobbing/wedging coins in the oak tree was a ridiculous thing to show.
And, of course, a pilgrimage has to be undertaken with a silly hat and staff.

By far the best bit was when Tony said "Imagine standing here with the sun glistening off your helmet".
I nearly spat my tea out.

These programmes are obviously lightweight and enjoyable for the odd snippet of info, scenery, and to see if its possible for Tonys belly to get any bigger etc but it'd be nice to see somebody attempt something like this with a wee bit more depth. I don't think that would necessarily alienate the casual viewer.

Agree, the bit with the 'pilgrim' and the coins was silly (same sentiment as coins in wells etc.) but the tree magnificent. I thought TR got rather a lot into what was less than an hour (with commercial breaks). The beginning bit at the quern stone production site and exporting them across the water sort of resonated with current times. Some of the North Downs Way follows the same route as the Pilgrim's Way to Canterbury Cathedral/Shrine of Thomas Becket, historically interesting in itself, along with the speculative bit about the lost battle site of Julius Ceasar. The North Downs Way seemed to have been the most important route to and from mainland Europe into England. I'm not a 'casual' viewer as I made a point of watching but probably am a bit light weight by TMA standards (who cares). I like TR and his enthusiasm loads, don't give a monkey's fart about the size of his belly - which I didn't even notice :)

PS: Your comment re helmet had me in a fit of giggling too ...

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
6th November 2016ce
14:46

Messages in this topic: