The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Cows
11 messages
Select a forum:
I spent nearly fifteen years up until April this year living in a cottage on a working farm. There were cattle and sheep. An average cow weighs about 1,500 lbs and that is a lot of muscle and bone. I saw some incidents of cattle panicking and farmers and farm workers getting outta the way very quickly indeed.
There have been about 75 human fatalities from cattle in the last 15 years. Just less than 60 of those killed were farm workers. Of the remaining deaths all but one were solitary walkers with a dog or dogs. Take from that what you will. I can only offer my best advice - respect their space and be ready to move quickly.
As for Ram and sheep attacks take the best advice.

https://thecontraryfarmer.word[...]/learning-reality-the-ram-way/

Although Rams and sheep do occasionally kill people, it is mostly horrific "solitary walkers with a dog" incidents which make the news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35819476

On holiday in Galloway a few years back I saw a couple walking hand-in-hand across a sheepfield outsdie Gatehouse of Fleet (just by Rutherford's Monument). In less than half a minute their unleashed dog set about a flock of ewes and lambs, biting, worrying, drawing blood, injuring ewes and lambs and panicking dozens of animals who ran into fences etc. The couple walked on unperturbed.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
1st August 2016ce
11:32

In reply to:

Cows (Markoid)

Messages in this topic:

Cows (Markoid, Jul 31, 2016, 15:19)
    • Re: Cows (tjj, Jul 31, 2016, 22:05)
    • Re: Cows (moss, Aug 01, 2016, 07:22)
    • Re: Cows (ocifant, Aug 01, 2016, 10:31)
    • Re: Cows (Howburn Digger, Aug 01, 2016, 11:32)
    • Re: Cows (Venutius, Sep 13, 2016, 08:21)
      • Re: Cows (ironstone, Sep 15, 2016, 20:26)
        • Re: Cows (Venutius, Sep 15, 2016, 21:15)
    • Re: Cows (thesweetcheat, Dec 05, 2016, 22:04)