The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: What they did with their dead ....
20 messages
Select a forum:
Locodogz wrote:
Many moons ago I found myself in Tana Taraja (in Sulawesi). In addition to the cliff burial tradition I was shown a number of sacred trees. These were reserved for interring infants (deemed to be more innocent, it was explained to me) - a hollow would be carved out of the trunk and the body placed behind a temporary cover and, as the tree grew, the opening would eventually close. Looking up at the tallest of these trees you could clearly make out 20+ of these closed up 'burials'.

I remember finding this quite striking and something of a calming 'return to nature'?

I suppose a bit like green burials when they plant a tree on your remains. As Carol says we are a bit scared of mentioning death in this country, though of course it is a 100% certain. Child burials are so sad, perhaps as the trees reached to the sky, this was taking their spirits up to the wider universe slowly.
Cremation for me and ashes scattered in a place I love, just in a valley on the moors, with rowan trees scattered along the course of a beck.

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
16th June 2016ce
08:55

Messages in this topic: