The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Holey stones, batman !
22 messages
Select a forum:
There *are* holed stones mixed with cupmarked stones in Heaton, Bolton. The cupmarked stones are probably not the best examples in the country - even if they are the only ones in Gtr. Manchester -but they are definitely cupmarked.

In Knarsdale (about 10 kms. as-the-crow-flies from Long Meg), there are very good cupmarked stones intermingled with the kind of stones that I describe as 'drilled'. Among last weekend's images was one of a whetstone that had been found amongst the Amesbury Archer's gravegoods. That little stone - drilled through, near the end, to take a thong - is the spit and image of another stone, at Knarsdale, which is possibly thirty or forty times larger. And the hole doesn't go all the way through.

The book Stan is finishing is on the Rock Art of Northumberland - I think. It would be sad if it is published and then these new stones are then brought onto the scene. I'll print him some pictures fairly quickly.

There's a very prominent hill - which is called Proudy Hill - that can be seen from this Knar valley. Most of the cupmarked stones there are in the pattern that can be described as 'pepperbox'. The surfaces of these stones all incline toward, or face, this harvest hill. The drilled ones all look up the west-east valley, generally. I don't think this spatial arrangement has been observed before.

There's also a couple of Ballaun stones in this valley. I called them the Wogglestones.

david

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
21st November 2002ce
20:42

1 reply:

Re: Holey stones, batman ! (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: