The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Castlerigg Forum Start a topic | Search
Castlerigg
Bolton's Castlerigg !
22 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks again - when you said "is anyone going to the BAF", I didn't realise you were. I could have shown you that NU menhir ! There's a bit of 'bad blood' between me and the uni - something to do with the previous chancellor and some work that was described to him as 'done by many student volunteers'. A lot of the work had actually been done by *me* camping in the woods for three weeks previously. And I'm still a bit cross about it five years later...

As for holed stones in England - as far as I can make out, there are five in Wheeldale, one in Rothbury, one in a Midlands churchyard, one on the outskirts of Oldham, the large one in Cornwall and the dozen in North Bolton. Are there any more than this known in the UK ?

IronMan was going to take a look at these Bolton stones but hasn't got back - the weekend's weather has been bad. I've also found what seems to be a closed stone row in Smithills. There's only one or two stones still standing, but the others are all there, and they are millstone grit slabs that I suppose were put very close to each other to make a continuous screen. There's one or two quite big stones amongst them.

I'll photograph it next week, or the week after, with luck...

david

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
21st November 2002ce
08:09

In reply to:

Re: Castlerigg, there's the rub! (fitzcoraldo)

1 reply:

and p.s. (BlueGloves)

Messages in this topic: