The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Disturbed archaeology
5 messages
Select a forum:
Ta. Wish I could read..my outdated o/s smartphone can't download fully. Anyway, def way bigger than delineated by the Historic England map I linked. Reckon was even bigger, but part cleared and now under pasture to E. Went back today before work - an advantage of self employment - for one more crack at sussing and pix. Dragged one stone back into place, risking back. Fine for two bods, not one, and I'm fit. Other smaller stone under snow, not located. Will find next time, as intend to do multiple visits still to the immediate area. Worth trying to bottom the moor. Have made aquaintance of someone who's found many arrowheads there. Highly populated in antiquity. Number of extant cairns in hundreds. Thankfully not a site where modern day looting'd be easy. Gamekeepers etc about daily. Do I understand the archaeology? No way. Would puzzle the professionals I reckon. Trouble is the rhodos will obscure the really intriguing bits again in three years or so...

Reply | with quote
spencer
Posted by spencer
3rd February 2016ce
23:03

In reply to:

Re: Disturbed archaeology (baza)

Messages in this topic: