The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Secret Britain
19 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
I got to the point where I wanted to watch it without the sound.

That is exactly what we had to do - turn the sound off. There was one point where they were feeding in a sentence each. One after the other. And it was excruciating.

The scenery was wondrous, but the dialogue limped painfully for most of the show (the part we actually listened to). The "other people's stories" were a welcome relief from the "banter" of the presenters.

The faked up links of the presenters walking together, then splitting apart as they went on the respective "journeys" was laughable. I understand what the producer was trying to do was create a "narrative" of joint and seperate investigations of "Secret Places" but the tedious, forced banter and the appalling linking between the segments made for seriously cringey viewing.

The segment about the "drinking stone" was just classic. Opening shot of a woman sitting looking at a stone. Voice over of narrator "This is Euphemia McGlumphar. She is an archaeologist. She looks after the stone...". Shot of her sitting looking at the stone. I nearly followed through/ dropped a dead otter etc. etc.

I may just chill a wee Sauvignon Blanc for next week's episode, slip on my bicycle clips, turn the volume up for the whole show and weep with laughter.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
9th April 2015ce
22:49

In reply to:

Re: Secret Britain (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: