The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Stonehenge Q and R stones sunrise orientation
62 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
"Okay Nigel, please enlighten us by revealing how many EXACTLY of the 1000's of dowsers out there have shown this 'lack of ability'"

Normally an exact number would be hard to come up with, but not in this case as I know of exactly none who have shown that ability to others (based on my personal observation and Googling. Under controlled conditions, that is.) I'm prepared to bet my caravan against your house that that's the EXACT number you know too!

Being committed and getting off your arse every weekend doesn't make throwing knucklebones an effective form of futurology or dowsing a real phenomenon.

"Beats sitting in your armchair or looking at a computer screen and googling away to gain your information from like many do!"

If that's a dig at me so be it but you should know I've been interested in dowsing for many, many years since before Bill Gates had a pot to piss in and I do know a bit about it! As does George. Why demonise us (which is what's coming across loud and clear)? Don't you think we'd RATHER it was proved to be a real phenomenon? You'd have to be bonkers not to wish it was.

No dig directly at you personally intended Nigel I can assure you but plenty at those who at times quote unrealistic claims in an attempt to try and prove a point.
Just sticking to my 1,000's of dowsers out there, lets, just for arguments sake, say there are 5,000. I doubt very much that more than 50 dowsers have been 'lab tested' to prove their apparent claims, or more likely, asked to prove something dreamt up by their examiners.
Would you seriously consider that the 'failings' of those 50 dowsers (1%) are truly representative of those other 4,950 who have not been tested? It would only take 1 out of those 4,950 to pass the tests asked of him to prove that dowsing does work, but not for everyone! That is your weakness, you make no allowance for the possibility that it may just work!

Well if it's not Nigel that leaves me .

What are the unrealistic claims from the sceptical viewpoint ,and what are the quotes ?

The unrealistic claims are from the dowsers .
Do you actaully believe that dowsers are capable of finding "stuff" and what makes you believe it ?
There is no reason to believe that it does work ,when given the opportunity under test conditions , they never do better than expected by chance.
Maybe spoon bending , psychokinesis , table turning ,communicating with the dead , levitation ,reading tea leaves etc works , but I wouldn't bet on it . Everyone , when tested by the non gullible fails .
Just get one dowser to find the hidden pot of ring pulls and we'll be on the road to believing .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
11th November 2014ce
17:06

Messages in this topic: