The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Stonehenge visitor centre
4 messages
Select a forum:
jimit wrote:

I visited last week as the opportunity presented itself via a friend who now lives in Devizes and maintains a double NT membership - so I admit I did not have to pay the £14.90 admission fee. It was a lovely day weather-wise and when we pitched up at around lunch-time there were several coach parties of visitors wandering around. We didn't get to use the land train as there were some small buses ferrying people back and forth. Once up at stones, however, the crowds of people seemed to dissipate and I managed to take lots of photos against the changing sky. What upset me most of all was that you couldn't view the stones from the Avenue side of the Heel stone as a barbed wire fence was still in place. There is still some work going on at the site of the old car park and the now turfed over section of the A344 - a large ground arrow by the Heel Stone which points out the mid-winter alignments so I imagine the fence will be moved in due course. I wanted to walk up the Avenue and take a photo from the other side of the Heel Stone and we were able to go into the adjacent field to do this (sheep-poo hazard). I have to say the EH staff were numerous and very friendly - though wish their customer services training didn't include referring to everyone as 'guys' (but that's me being picky).
The cafe is designed to deal with high numbers of people - so it was paper cups, sandwiches or pasties - soup had been on offer but had sold out. We ended up driving into Amesbury and using a small friendly cafe close to the Amesbury Heritage Museum (closed that day but definitely worth a visit).
As of February entrance will have to be pre-booked - which may account for the rush of visitors during January - I am sure it will settle down by the summer.
http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]458/stonehenge.html#fieldnotes

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
12th January 2014ce
10:31

In reply to:

Stonehenge visitor centre (jimit)

Messages in this topic: