The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: There is no place quite like it..
37 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
Coo that was nice you got to see Mr Richards.

So the train only took you as far as the wood - is that not only about half way? so you still had to walk about a kilometer or something?

and what do you walk on, have they covered the road or is it still there or what?

I'm intrigued and nosey.

Hi Rhiannon,

You could be dropped off at Fargo Plantation, we were the only people who did this, and the long tarmac road stretches before you. You come up to the stones, with lots happening at the old VC being demolished. The long line of old camper vans, flags waving, are still (legally) parked on the drove lane. The grassed over road comes only as far the end of the old VC from Stonehenge Bottom. The road is still very much in use of course with work people.
Three land trains operate from the back of the centre, plus an old Salisbury red coach, which they used for a disabled person with a wheelchair....
I think the whole staff force of EH was there, greeting you by the dozen, it probably was for EH one of the biggest days in the life of the stones and one for celebration.

The building as I have probably said was beautiful, but airy, it really consists of two buildings with a roof over and of course the wind can be felt through the centre. The cladding of grey, silvered wood is very discreet, think it is ash. Loos very Japanese, with continuous basin and the water running in a rill....

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
18th December 2013ce
22:36

Messages in this topic: