The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: There is no place quite like it..
37 messages
Select a forum:
jimit wrote:
My Blue Badge Guide mate (see earlier post) proposes a nightmare scenario : 3 delayed coaches arrive (ship late, motorway hold up etc) with 3 on time coaches there plus many occasional visitors unaware of the new conditions! Great on a sunny Bank Holiday.
Disappointed that the landtrain is pulled by a Land Rover. Electric traction not considered?
Jim.

Quick report; Apart from the weather it was good. English Heritage did a marvellous job, everyone was on a high, more land trains are definitely needed as the people from the coaches started to appear, we took the first one out, and then got dropped off by the wood and walked. There is still a lot to be done in the way of grassing round the visitor centre. The centre itself is beautiful in its simplicity, the roof blends very well into the landscape, being tipped at either end and obscuring the greater part of it.

And we got to meet Julian Richards, (my hero) took a photo of him and we had a chat with him, like all of us he could not believe that the centre had finally become a reality.

I know there are going to be lots of grumbles, but this opening day was truly successful, think all of the EH staff were there sporting their new brown rain coats.

Road protest did not happen, and the Druids had to stand out in front of the entrance protesting in the rather nasty weather that slowly enfolded.
Probably foreign visitors were bemused by the happening.....

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
18th December 2013ce
16:15

Messages in this topic: