The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: There is no place quite like it..
37 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
a lot of the landscape is at the moment access land. And there's a thumping great byway too. Will they change that? (in fear of repeating myself) but when I walked around and about there years back I was virtually alone. Despite the full carpark. So I don't think they're going to have huge problems with hundreds of renegades walking in from miles out, people are just too lazy. Do you not think? They'll probably check tickets when people get on the bus, but otherwise..

am I just being an optimist for a change.

Not that I'm trying to dodge paying particularly. But it'd be nice to have an option of avoiding some of the tourist circus. You know how crazy it gets there on a nice day.

It should be possible to walk from Durrington Walls or Amesbury and I'm guessing if approached from a different direction the hefty entrance fees might be avoided. They no doubt include entry to the display rooms which do look worth paying for. I'm not a NT member but in the old order members could go up to the stones for free. Is this still the case I wonder?

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
18th December 2013ce
13:17

Messages in this topic: